It's been so Impossibly long!
My dear friend I apologize for the intense LACK of posting that there has been *Smacks herself in head* College is crazy...absolutely crazy! But in spite of it's craziness, I have managed to read a couple of books, which I can't wait to tell you about!

First off though, I recently was interviewed for another blog. (exciting, right?) I will be sure to notify you as soon as that goes up.

The first book that I read that I want to tell you about is Impossible by Nancy Werlin. It was a National Book Award finalist, and if that's the only thing that gets you to read this book, then so be it.

The story is woven around the folk ballad 'Scarborough Fair'. (You know, the one Simon and Garfunkle did a cover of?) Werlin has taken this song and woven an entire mythology behind it. Lucy Scarborough, 18 and pregnant, is at the mercy of her family's curse. She has until the baby is born to break the curse or she will go insane, and the curse will be left to her daughter to break. Just another link in the chain of fatherless daughters.

Werlin has a true story telling gift. This story is very simple, there are not an exorbitant amount of characters, the plot is single minded. And yet, that is all it needs. It was a refreshing splash into a completely believable world. To often we find fiction has too many 'just in time' coincidences, they're what get us our happy ending, but too many and the audience becomes jaded. Werlin does not take advantage of her audiences belief span in this.

Every time I read a novel, I consider the novel a success if I continue to think about the story, the nuances, the characters etc. after I finish reading. That was the case with this novel. I finished it in twenty-four hours because I was so enthralled. It's fantastic. Now go read it!

CV

P.S. My next post will be about Fairy Tales, or at least re-tellings of them. :)
0 Responses

Post a Comment